- Austin Water Polo exists to promote water polo and is open to anyone who has an interest in playing the sport. If you are interested in joining our team — or even just trying water polo without joining– we strongly urge you to come to a practice. Below are some common questions that people have about the team.
- What is the competition level?
- It ranges from expert to novice. We have placed highly at Masters Nationals and taught folks who have never played. We encourage everyone to come out and play.
- I used to play many years ago, but am now out of shape. Would it be worthwhile to come out?
- That is totally fine. We all try to stay in shape, but we do our best with the time we have.
- I have also just started swimming again and was wondering what sort of laps/times/etc. I should be shooting for to be competitive in water polo.
- To be competitive with the better masters players on the team you should generally be able to swim at least 500 yards under 7 minutes and a 100 yards under a minute to be in the realm of competitive. But again, we encourage everyone to come and play, you don’t have to be at the highest level to be on the team. Especially if you are a goalie.
- I can make it to practice, but will not be able to go to tournaments, is that okay?
- We all have different priorities, obligations, and interests. Some of our members have the time and interest to play in many tourneys. Others have obligations that make that difficult. We are not going to make you feel unwelcome if you can’t make those events. We can grow the sport in many ways.
- How much does it cost to play?
- The price varies according to the venue and age group. We understand that everyone’s financial situation is different and we can discuss what it would take to help you participate.
- Water Polo