Philadelphia’s list of adult sports leagues offers a ton of variety, so there is no excuse not to find something to pique your interest. The City of Brotherly Love offers something for everyone’s inner athlete, regardless of skill level. Casual, competitive, or social adult sports–you’ll find it all in Philadelphia. And if rowing has been on your bucket list, there is no shortage of rowing clubs in Philly.
But instead of making you dig your way through a ton of websites to find an adult sports league in Philadelphia that’s right for you, Adults Play Sports has made it easy by putting together a list for you.
You’ll get a short description, and you can get more details by linking to their listing in our directory from the list below.
Speaking of which, Adults Play Sports has a searchable online directory of adult sports leagues, trainers, camps, clinics, lessons, and tournaments (sort of like the Yelp of adult sports). Search by sport, location, gender, competition level, or other features, like LGBTQ, senior leagues, social leagues, and more.
Who says just because you’ve hit the adulting stage in your life, you should have to give up sports or be intimidated about starting a sport later in life? We think there’s no better time than now to get involved in adult sports in Philadelphia, and we’ll give you some guidance and highlight some adult sports leagues in the city you call home.
Things To Consider In An Adult Sports League
Born Competitor or Social and Sporty (Or Just Social)?
There are several factors to consider when picking an adult sports league. Are you looking for full-contact, hardcore competition? Or are you more interested in a social sports league where you can have fun playing a sport but also participate in social events like happy hours? Or do you not consider yourself much of an athlete, but you’d still like to do something sporty-ish?
There are all types of adult sports leagues that cater to different personas. Some leagues are ultra-competitive. But there are other leagues where socializing is just as important as actually playing a sport.
Social sports leagues usually arrange events beyond sports games, like happy hours or other networking events. These types of leagues tend to be good choices for the more casual athlete. A lot of social sports leagues offer beginner-friendly sports like cornhole, kickball, bowling, and dodgeball.
Additional Features You Might Want In An Adult Sports League
Some other things you might want to consider in picking an adult sports league that’s right for you are:
- Do you prefer single-gender or co-ed sports?
- Are you “of a certain age” and prefer a league with age divisions in the 30s, 40s, 50s, or beyond?
- Are you looking for LGBTQ+-specific leagues?
The great thing about living in Philadelphia is that you’re more likely to find leagues with these types of features. Those adult athletes in South Dakota aren’t quite as fortunate when it comes to having as many options as you do.
The List Of Adult Sports Leagues In Philadelphia
Without further ado, here is the list you’ve been waiting for! Of course, this is not the complete list of adult sports options in Philadelphia, but it’s a pretty darn good one.
- Heyday Athletic-Social sports league with locations across Philly, NJ, and Delaware; offers many co-ed sports
- Philadelphia Surge-Semi-professional ultimate frisbee team for women, trans, genderqueer
- ULAX Philly-Men’s and women’s 18+ lacrosse leagues
- Philly Women’s Lacrosse League-Competitive women’s lacrosse league
- Philadelphia Box Lacrosse Association-Highly competitive men’s box lacrosse league
- Liberty Bell Men’s Baseball League-18+ men’s baseball league
- South Ardmore Baseball League-South Merion Township men’s baseball league, also open to women
- Athletic Baseball Club of Philadelphia-Old-style baseball club (1864) open to men and women
- Philadelphia Area Disc Alliance-Adult ultimate frisbee and disc golf leagues
- Greater Philadelphia Flag Football League (GPFFL)-LGBTQ flag football league
- Philadelphia Raiders-Semi-pro men’s football team
- Philadelphia Gators-Minor league men’s football team
- Philadelphia Flames SC-Philly metro/South Jersey women’s soccer team
- Philadelphia Falcons-LGBTQ co-ed adult soccer club
- Greater Philadelphia Adult Soccer League (GPASL)-Chester County competitive men’s soccer league
- Bachelors Barge Club-Rowing club for seasoned adult rowers and new rowers
- Penn AC Rowing Association-High-level former Olympic rowers and new rowers; learn-to-row programs
- BLJ Community Rowing-Black-owned rowing organization offers learn-to-row and masters programs for adults
- Pennsylvania Center for Adapted Sports-multiple adapted sports options for adults of all skill levels
- Fairmount Rowing-primarily known for masters rowing program
- Philadelphia Whitemarsh Rugby Football Club-Men’s competitive rugby club
- Philadelphia Gryphons Rugby-Men’s gay rugby club
- Northeast Philadelphia Irish Rugby-Men’s and women’s divisions rugby club
- Philadelphia Rugby Football Club-Oldest women’s rugby club in Philly with competitive and intermediate divisions
- Sofive-Indoor and outdoor soccer leagues in Elkins Park
- Magee Rehab Wheelchair Basketball-Weekly adaptive basketball league
- Next Basket Wins-Men’s adult basketball league
- Philadelphia Volleyball-Organized adult volleyball throughout the city
- Philadelphia Amateur Baseball League-Competitive men’s baseball league
- Upper Merion Township Parks & Rec-several adult sports options for residents
- City of Brotherly Love Softball League-LGBTQ slowpitch softball league with multiple skill levels
- Philly Kickball League-Co-ed adult kickball league
- Caroll Alumni Soccer League-Radnor-based men’s competitive soccer league
- Tri-County Women’s Soccer League (TCWSL)-Pennyslvania’s largest women’s soccer league with 19 teams
- United Soccer League of Pennsylvania-Competitive men’s and women’s soccer league
- CASA Soccer Leagues-beginner to elite level soccer for adult men and women, and co-ed leagues
- Greater Philadelphia Men’s Adult Baseball League-Men’s over 40s adult baseball league
- Philadelphia Adult League Softball (PALS)-Mixed-gender adult softball league
Not Sure What Sport Is Right For You? Take Our Quiz To Find Out.
Maybe you’re what we call sports-curious–intrigued by the idea of playing sports but not quite sure which is the right one for you. You can take our short sports quiz that will narrow down some well-suited sports for you based on your answers.
Motivation and Inspiration
If anything is holding you back from getting involved in adult sports in the vibrant metropolis of Philadelphia, whether it’s intimidation, lack of training, or lack of motivation, Adults Play Sports has a robust blog to help. Our blog posts include everything from training tips to motivational stories from adult athletes from all walks of life.
We want to be your partner on this journey because we love sports! Plus, there are a plethora of mental, emotional, and physical benefits to playing sports as an adult.
Go Ahead. subscribe.
(You know you want to)
As much as we like you, we aren’t obsessed, so don’t expect us to write everyday. We’ll just email when we’ve got good info and giveaways.
P.S. We’re totally okay with you stalking us, though.
Now that you have the lowdown on adult sports leagues in Philadelphia, it’s time to get your game on!
Choose a league that gets your heart pumping, and remember–it’s never too late to #growupandplay. After all, in the Birthplace of America, playing sports is just another way to live life to its fullest and still feel young at heart, whether you’re 25 or 75.