Van Queer Climbers came together with the hope to increase visibility and inclusion of LGBTQIA2S+ people in climbing, reduce financial barriers that they are more likely to face, build queer community in a sport historically discriminatory against LBGTQIA2S+ people, and create positive change within local climbing facilities for LGBTQIA2S+ people.
Some of our projects include:
- Monthly LGBTQIA2S+ climbing meetups at local gyms and crags in BC.
- Discounted climbing gym access for our community to reduce financial barriers.
- Winter and Summer climbing mentorship programs that provide LGBTQIA2S+ climbers of all levels access to LGBTQIA2S+ climbing mentors and helps them gain new climbing knowledge, build on their skills, and form queer community in BC. This also provides them with free access to local climbing gyms during their mentorship sessions.
- Free gear rentals for outdoor climbing mentorship sessions.
- Partnering with local climbing gyms to provide free day passes to LGBTQIA2S+ climbers who face financial barriers